• Français
  • English
  • Italiano
separator

Basins & Fountains

Mougins offers for those who venture to discover, an amazing itinerary along the water, around the murmur of its nineteen fountains and washhouses over the entire territory of the commune.

Maryse Duhalde Fountain
(Place Lieutenant-Isnard) Slightly on the edge of the old village of Mougins, this lovely Italian fountain built entirely of grey stone and surrounded by creeping succulent plants, is a fine tribute to Maryse Duhalde, wife of Roger Duhalde, Honorary Mayor of Mougins.

Carla Lavatelli Fountain
Place des Amis - Rue de l'Eglise Village

Tournamy Fountain
Avenue de Tournamy

Fountain à Deux Têtes
Place du Commandant Lamy, Angle Espace Culturel Village

Fountain Place du Commandant Lamy
Place du Commandant Lamy Village

Washhouse
Avenue Jean-Charles Mallet Village

The Old Fountain
(Traverse de la Vieille Fontaine) Around the 12th century, the village flourished thanks to the presence of water. This fountain-washhouse is a privileged place, a centre of conviviality and civility around which the villagers gathered, and the main source of water for centuries. In the 19th century, washhouses appeared along with other public facilities and settled quite naturally next to the fountain. In the hot summer months, come dream and meditate in the old fountain’s chiaroscuro; let yourself be lulled by the whispering water, and charmed by the refreshing atmosphere.

Les Horts de la Salle Washhouse-Fountain
(Chemin des Horts de la Salle) Linked to an old spring located 100m upstream, it was used to water the gardens (“Horts”) of La Salle since AD900 and, later, those of the village dedicated mainly to growing pulses. The only source of water for the village until Canal du Foulon in 1894, its water was pumped to the water tower under Place de l'Église. The water was conveyed to the gardens by a noria.

Washhouse, Fountain & Drinking trough of Font-Neuve
(Chemin de Font Neuve, Quartier Font-Roubert) Fountains symbolized life and every Provençal village had some on or near a small square or in the shade of a majestic plane tree. With its water from two springs upstream, Font-Neuve was a welcome thirst-quenching stop for people on foot or on horseback.

Fountain Washhouse Bargemon
(Avenue de Pibonson) Reserved exclusively for women to work together, washhouses were convivial meeting places, simple watering points or sometimes nothing more than stones in a stream. Everything changed with the hygienist movement in the second half of the 19th century. “The Law of 1851 required every commune to build a washhouse where water could flow.”

Fontain d'Angouin
(Avenue de Pibonson) On the trail of old flour mills at L’Abadie, a stopover for people on foot and horses. Water has always been essential for humankind and its conquest required development of appropriate techniques. Washhouses first appeared near watering places and fountains, illustrating collective awareness of the importance of public health and basic hygiene.

Linked file: